I recently had the pleasure of painting a client’s Shih-Tsu. Her name was Sofie, and mine is Sophia (often shortened to Sophie), so it seemed like fate had brought me to this project. I also fell in love with the happy expression on this adorable dog. And so I went to work.
This was the painting after I applied the initial shadows and started playing with color. I pined over which “creative” colors to use and found it helpful to layer some colorful lines over the original photo I had of Sofie via Pixlr (a photo editing tool I highly recommend). Pink, blue and yellow seemed to highlight the happy expression on my subject and gave the painting some brightness.
Here I had added more color and more color and then some more color. I wanted a good saturation, particularly of the blue and then I tipped up the piece to let some of the colors run along the bottom. Now the party was getting fun!
Lastly, we have the final piece! Sofie, with her personality bursting all around her and a smile donning her sweet face.
I just finished my latest painting of a plum headed parakeet. I just love these birds for their vibrant color and charming personalities. To prepare for this particular piece, I bought a tube of magenta by Windsor and Newton to add to my paint collection, which really allowed me to get some bright color for that beautiful head. And I could justify a shopping trip to the art store…yay!!! I am trying to pull back some on the detailing and allow for abstract creation, and this piece was definitely a journey in the right direction for me. Watercolor is so beautiful when it is just allowed to flow and blend and do what it does, so hopefully being a little less “demanding” of it will lead to more intriguing effects.
I have been fascinated and delighted by ink/watercolor works for quite some time now, so I decided to give it a shot myself. I just love way the free flow of the watercolor lends a contrast to the precision of the pen. I worked on a dragonfly first and was very generous with the color surrounding it. It was a bit overwhelming I thought, so I hashed out a betta fish and was a bit more restained with the colors. The latter is definitely much more my style, and I think the drawing has more room to stand on in that piece.
My tools of choice for this project were a Faber-Castell PITT artist pen in black (waterproof india ink), Winsor & Newton watercolor pigments and Strathmore 140 lb. watercolor paper. A pretty easy project and so much fun. Give it a go, and let me know what you think!
Here is my newly completed work “Chopper”. He is a North American Pileated Woodpecker, and it was fun hanging out with him as he took shape. I am really trying to find a balance between being detailed and adding some splashes, spills, and splatters to create a dynamic. I think the balance in this piece is a bit closer to where I want to be.