When I first began my journey with watercolor, I closely followed an artist who used a combination of colors to produce black. She would, for instance, mix blue and brown to produce a wide array of grays and an “almost black,” which then could be used to give paintings an interesting depth of color while providing contrast. I never remember her using white, although there were instances where masking fluid was used to allow the white of the paper to add dimension.
Hence I never added black or white to my collection of paints. Until now! As I have explored different artwork, I have become very intrigued with the dimension that black can add to a work and how it can make other colors become more prominent in a painting. Alongside that is the notion that it just completes the range of colors that make up most of what we see. Real life has lots of white and black so this lends itself to art as well; this makes art more recognizable to us.
I look forward to creating some pieces with my new passion for white and black. Can’t wait to share them with you!
Here is my experiment on painting straight from the tube with watercolor pigments (as inspired by this post). The left side of the paper was wet and the right side I left dry, just so I could see what the range of effects could be. The wet side did encourage the paint to flow outwards, but there are still some very lovely textural effects which took place. As you can see, the color saturation was also phenomenal where the paint remained concentrated. Both sides of the paper allowed the paint to maintain texture, which is super cool, as this can allow for a myriad ways to create and express a vision. On the dry side, as can be expected, the paint didn’t flow as much. Where I ended up dragging the tube along, a lovely textural effect emerged as the paint settled into the grooves of the watercolor paper. A lighter touch allowed the paint to skip along, leaving a good bit of white among dry dabs of paint. Lovely! There are a lot of possibilities with this method, and I look forward to experimenting some more with it!
Materials used: Strathmore 140lb. watercolor paper, Winsor & Newton watercolour pigments in Alizarin Crimson, Hookers Green and French Ultramarine.